Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Some gym machines that I'd kind of like to see go down in flames...



Maybe I'm just weak, but WHEW! This is always the first machine I tackle, so I have the most energy and spirit and can make it through both sets of 12 reps. And then I'm done and don't have to do it again.

My other nemesis o' the gym is the arm extension, which works your triceps-- the little muscle that runs from the back of your elbow to your armpit. This is one of the only exercises I've had to skip a couple of times because my little triceps were both soooo sore from the previous trip to the gym!!! I'm slowly but surely creeping up on the strength, though. When I first started, I couldn't even put any "extra" weight on this thing, but I'm up to 35 pounds. The "genetic betrayal that is my legacy" (quoting Heather Mooney from Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion) is flabby upper arms, though, so I soldier on ; )



I've been trying to do 2 days a week on the circuit training machines at the gym... that's going well. I want to build strength in addition to endurance, and each time I work out I kind of judge how challenging the machine was to me. If I feel like I can add another 5 pounds of resistance on there, I up the weight so that next time I'll have more resistance/challenge. If I can't really finish my reps/set, or it's "very difficult" for me to do so, I leave it at the same weight for next time, until I feel as though I'd like more of a challenge.

It's a nice way to see my strength training progress : )

1 comment:

  1. I actually like the arm extender thing because I fear flabby arms. My old coworker called them "Foley's Arms" (before Macy's) because the old ladies who shopped at Foley's would wave at each other with the flabby arms. Image of fear in my brain.

    ReplyDelete