Monday, August 16, 2010

Sleep... it's important.

I'm pretty sure I didn't get enough of it last night. When the alarm went off this morning, I felt like I'd been asleep for about 5 minutes, and for the first time in a few weeks I really, really considered snoozing.

I didn't snooze, because I really want to keep on track with my running and the closer we get to sunrise, the hotter it gets. I got dressed, put on my shoes, got some water, and walked out to the car to find that it was super thick and humid and 82 degrees even in the dark. As I sat down in the car, I was thinking to myself, "This is not easy. I wish I loved running. Is being fat really all that bad? Would it be horrible if I just went right back in the house and snuggled with my husband and the dog for 30 more minutes?"

I had a technical glitch where I evidently didn't start my c25k app on the phone, so my warmup was more like 15 minutes than the regular 5. The next time I started it, evidently I didn't have my volume up loud enough to hear the notifications so I missed my first run start. GRRRRRR. By now I've walked about a mile and a half and it's getting light (which means it's getting hot), but I was determined to do this. I got it all turned up and on the right timing, and finally finished the warmup for the third time and began running. I was sucking air. Tired. Flat out of juice.

I continued on hoping it would get better, but it never did. I finished the workout but didn't run continuously during all of my running-intervals-- when I got too tired, I'd walk 10 steps and then pick the running back up with a distance marker in mind. For instance, "I'll keep running until I get to that light pole... I can make it to that light pole..."

The wanting to go to sleep really never subsided. I should have gone to bed at 10:30 when I was tired, but noooo, I decided to stay up and watch one more tv show. I think I'm just going to have a do-over of week 4 day 2!

I wanted to post this because I think it's important to talk about the really rough days too...and for me to be able to look back at this next time I'm having a hard time, saying :it happens, it will happen again, but it won't be like this every day."

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, do I know the "just keep going until the lamp post" thoughts! Congrats on getting through it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Thank God for lamp posts. I mean, what on earth would keep us going if not for lamp posts? LOL

    ReplyDelete