Monday, August 2, 2010

Let's Talk About Breakfast...

What are some of your favorite healthy breakfast options? This tends to be the most difficult meal of the day for me, mainly because things like eggs, bacon, giant creamy cheesy kolaches, and fruity pebbles come to mind. Even some of the "healthier" cereals are loaded with sugar and low on protein... so please share some of your favorites! Super bonus points to dishes that can be prepared in advance and heated up in the morning. I'd love to hear some tasty egg dishes that aren't full of empty calories : )

My favorites:

1 c (cooked) Steel-cut oatmeal with microwaved frozen fruit (fresh works if you have it), sweetened with a little honey and stevia... accompanied with a cup of skim milk

1/2 c fat free cottage cheese with 1/2 c peaches or pears (if i am buying canned, i purchase the splenda sweetened fruit, not the fruit in heavy or light syrup)... also accompanied by skim milk

Fruit Smoothie:
1/2 c fat free plain yogurt (I like Fage Greek yogurt)
1/2 banana
1 scoop protein powder (I get Vanilla Soy from Central Market)
1/2 c milk
1 c fresh or frozen berries/fruit (I keep blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, pineapple, peaches on hand)
1 packet of stevia sweetener
about 1 tsp honey

Share yours!

11 comments:

  1. Central Market Multi Grain Waffles. 150 calories for 2, 8 grams of protein. They are tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done a calorie count on this, but I'm sure it's rather obvious how one can cut calories on it....

    I'm a total sucker for homemade scrambled egg and cheese sandwiches (with and without veggies) for breakfast. So easy and quick and filling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 cup cooked hot oat bran cereal with 1/4 cup raisins or fresh or frozen berries. Serve w/ nonfat milk. A lot like the oatmeal option, except a different texture and more fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JoBeth, what do you eat with the waffles?

    Sandy, I have never put the veggie-eggy-scramble on a sandwich, that's a good idea : )

    Laural, is there any particular brand you buy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kasey, Quaker has oat bran that you can find with the Oatmeal, etc. in the store. Theirs is probably the smoothest, most milled, if that matters to you. Hodgson Mill also makes one in a box, either with cereal or in the natural section. We usually get ours at a local place that has a lot of bulk foods. If you can find it in bulk, it's a LOT cheaper. I've found that higher fiber breakfasts with a reasonable amount of protein keep my blood sugar more stable and get me through to lunch more easily. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My usual breakfasts are one of the following:

    Container of fat free greek yogurt with 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal mixed in and a banana.

    An egg and a slice a reduced fat cheese on a whole wheat sandwich thin or double fiber english muffin and a banana.

    Natural peanut butter on a WW sandwich thin or english muffin and a banana.

    Yes, I always have a banana... lol.

    On the mornings that I run or lift weights I also have a tbs of natural PB or half a banana before and a protein shake after.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the tips! I don't have a variety so I hope ya'll don't mine my stealing some of yours!
    Great Blog BTW!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jess, it isn't stealing when we're here to SHARE : )

    Kristie, you and my husband. He is crazy banana man too...lol.

    I'm gonna have to jump on the egg sandwich wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adding a ton of fun herbs and spices and/or some salsa to your morning eggy sandwich can help liven things up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I want to treat myself, I put peanut butter on a whole wheat english muffin with some honey. yummy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot to reply to this!! Spray butter or sugar free smuckers jelly!!

    ReplyDelete