Friday, October 8, 2010

Just what I needed to hear...

I picked up the November issue of Runner's World magazine today and was thumbing through it while eating lunch. Today was a really long day, and after my run last night (which was one of those "am I made of lead?" kind of things) I was having one of those "am I doing this right?" brainstorms in my head. It was good to see Runner's World looking at me from the news stand in the grocery store... I haven't read it in a while, and I always find some great stories in it. I remember the first time I ever read it, sitting in a spa in Las Vegas reading about Matt Long, a NYC firefighter who ran a marathon after having been run over and shattered to pieces by a bus... in this issue I saw an ad for his book, The Long Run. I'll definitely be picking that one up!

At any rate, I've mentined before that I'm a slow gal. I'm generally happy just to be putting one foot in front of the other and completing my distance goals without walking most of the time. I've thought that at some point I'll look into improving time, but for now my goals are more completion and distance-oriented. Last night at the park I saw my friend Jan-- a total sweetheart and avid runner. She was there with a friend of hers doing speedwork, I passed her a few times as I was plugging along on my first Bridge-to-10K workout. As I was running, I wondered if I was doing this right. Am I supposed to be working on speed? Should I work on speed for my body? How on earth do I go about working on speed? Will the world end if I just keep up the slow and steady?

In Runner's World on page 36, there it was. "Tips for beginners from an easygoing coach" (Jeff Galloway's "The Starting Line" column).

Fact or Fiction? Whatever your pace, there's no such thing as running too slow.


FACT. Running is a free-form activity; we alone determine how fast, how far, and how long we run. The empowerment of running is open to anyone, at any speed. Your definition of "slow" may change as you grow more fit, and will change again as you grow older.

Thanks Jeff : ) That's just the information my heart was looking for today.
There are some interesting articles this month... one about shoes, one about bras (kudos to RW for not neglecting the chesty runners!), one about gluten, and a pretty compelling story about Bart Yasso... who among other things was an alcoholic who turned into a running legend with the help of a dog. There's also a story about a girl whose brother suffered a heart attack while running a marathon, so she's picking up where he left off and training to run one in his honor.  It's a good read!

No comments:

Post a Comment