Monday, May 16, 2011

So HEY, it's MAY!

Clearly, I'm a very goal-oriented person when it comes to the whole running thing.  Lately I've been really easily distracted from my routine, and not running as much as I wish I would... clearly no one's fault but mine.  Time management isn't easy, if it was easy we'd all be fabulously organized and on perfect schedules, right?

I can feel my body slipping back into the land o' flab when I don't exercise but sometimes life and task-accomplishment can be overwhelming, I mean who hasn't experienced that before?  I think we all go through phases of falling off the proverbial wagons and getting down on ourselves.  That's been me for the past couple of months.  I know that when I don't exercise the moody, annoying, overwhelmed Chesty Pear rears her head... which is good for no one and all.  So hey, I should fix that, huh?

We recently went on a vacation to West Texas, and on our way back home stopped in Kerville for the evening.  In our hotel lobby were lots of Hill Country brochures, on in particular for Gruene, Texas-- a place I've never officially been, but always wanted to stop in.  I'd also been riding on the back of a motorcycle for 6 days, and was itching to stretch my legs... and inside the Gruene brochure I noticed that they have a 10K in September.  I checked my schedule, and sure enough had the weekend free.

You can probably guess what happened next, I decided to sign up for this run, and get back on the exercise wagon.  I made that decision in mid-April, and it only took me a month (ooh, that's hard to admit) to get my shoes on and get my butt outside and run to start kind of training to be able to go the distance.  I've never run a 10K before, and I'd really like to.

So that's my goal : )

Since I have my big fancy running watch with GPS that's all programmable and whatnot, I decided to take the c25k program and double up on it.  I programmed in each of the first four workouts, but instead of the normal number of intervals, I doubled them.  I didn't start at the beginning, but at week 3 (intervals of 1:30 and 3:00, alternating) because I know my body and knew it'd be manageable.

It took me just under an hour to do 4.119 miles and I topped out at a phenomenally tortoise-like speed of 7.4 mph : )

BUT... I didn't give up, I kept going even when I was convinced my Timex Global Trainer was stuck in some sort of interval-rep warp and not acting right.

Today, I didn't want to be someone who makes an excuse about why they can't do something, I wanted to be someone who could finish something and post that flippin' sucker up on facebook...lol.  I know it's totally goofy and kind of attention-whorey, but when I'm getting tired and feeling like stopping before the end it's totally a motivating factor.  I really appreciate the friends on FB who cheer me on!

It was probably helpful that the weather was absolutely perfect.  Thanks God!

This week I'll try and repeat that workout on Wednesday and Friday as well... then move forward to the next workout.

I have to tell you, I really feel like after logging 4 miles I should be magically skinny by evening.  Holy crap, that's kind of far!!!

2 comments:

  1. Good job! I'm proud of you (: I've decided that I'm going to run a half marathon in November, but a 10k sounds like a good place to start! I may be asking you for details later, but I'm very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just registered for the 10K too! I am excited! I will be mostly walking. :)

    ReplyDelete