Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day One of the rest of my life...

Well, I went out and did week 1 day 1 of "Couch to 5k". I took the dog, which I probably maybe shouldn't do because he gets tired before I do : ) It was hot, and I was sweating, but I finished it. WHEEE!

I paid attention to my cereal box's serving size when I ate breakfast (raisin nut bran w/skim milk), an noticed that I've probably been eating well over 2 servings most of the time. For lunch I had a turkey & ham sandwich on those "sandwich thins" with hummus and mustard. I had a side of tortilla chips (12 chips = 1 serving) with more hummus, and a giant tumbler of water with one of those Crystal Light "on the go" single-serving packets. I don't like them at full-strength, so my giant tumbler with one packet was just about right.

I had an afternoon snack of some pasta (the kind made with flaxseed and stuff that's better for you than white flour) tossed in olive oil with mixed veggies and Tony Chacherie's seasoning on it. I would have waited until dinner, but I had a job this evening, and I knew I'd be working right through dinner time.

After my job I was hungry and driving home and stopped in front of my neighborhood McDonald's, staring longingly... with some John Mayer lost-love-song playing in the background. Pining for McDonald's and the ease of a drive-through and the crispy hot fries and sweet Coke.

Instead of the easy way out, I went to the store and got some things that should help keep me on track... salad mixed greens, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, brussel sprouts (I love them roasted!), some chicken tenderloins that I plan to cook and leave in the fridge to use on salad, some fat free hot dogs, those short cans of diet dr. pepper, uh... and some California rolls. I know white rice sushi probably isn't the ace healthiest choice I could have made, but surely there are worse things (like the tub of fried chicken, or half-pies that I walked right by, thank you very much). So all in all, I think I have made healthy choices today ; )

I'm going to throw some steel-cut oatmeal in my rice cooker this evening so it'll be on standby in the fridge for me in the mornings.

Thanks for pushing me off to a great start : )

2 comments:

  1. If you like roasted brussels sprouts, try this dish. It is my absolute favorite way to eat them!

    http://kalynsprintablerecipes.blogspot.com/2009/11/shredded-and-roasted-brussels-sprouts.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try asking if you can get your California rolls made with brown rice (our guy in the grocery store did that for us).

    ReplyDelete